Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Mary Before Me

It's been nine years ago since I was lucky enough to spend time with my Mom, Mary Lang Hemmons Wright. It was the Saturday before Mother's Day just like today. It's hard to believe it's been that long.

Now that I am older and have experienced my children becoming adults and have grandchildren there are so many things that I see differntly now then I did back then. So many things have changed and there are so many things that she has missed. Even though I was obviously an adult nine years ago, I feel much more grown up now and in a lot of ways I am a different person. Not different in any fundamental way, just a little more wise, a little stronger, more tolerant and more forgiving. Her unexpected death left me without the chance to say goodbye and reminded me that life is so short and that no day should be taken for granted.

I am sad that she didn't live long enough to be in love with her great grandchildren. They are the sunshine in my days and I wish she could have shared some of the family traditions that she helped establish and be part of the things that she loved that are now being passed along to a new generation.

Today, Mother's Day and every day, I miss you Mom.
Love, the Mary after you
Mary Elizabeth Wright Spengler





No comments:

Post a Comment