Thursday, February 29, 2024

Making Memories

Here's one more blog post that I wrote AGES ago but never shared for some reason. I wrote this long before my Godson wore the costume that I had written about. Sometimes life is so fascinating.







It's hard to believe that Halloween and our annual S'more Roast was a week ago! I can't believe how fast time passes. The older I get, the faster it goes! It's hard to believe that I had such good intentions to write this post last Tuesday. Oh well!

The season of Halloween has turned into a wonderful time full of traditions for me and my family considering I grew up thinking it really is little more than a silly little 'holiday' for dressing up and a great excuse to eat a lot of candy! As a kid, I dressed up every year and went to my share of Halloween parties over the years but I wasn't one of those people who couldn't wait for Halloween and I certainly never planned ahead. Our costumes usually consisted of what my Mom could find around the house - we were gypsies and hobos and cowboys and witches. 

I do remember the year that I started to look at Halloween through different eyes. My son was eight months old and I made a pumpkin costume for him. I am not a seamstress by any stretch of the imagination but even though I just stitched along the seams of a fabric-printed jack-o-lantern, I thought I had made something wonderful! Each year after that I started to look forward to Halloween in a way that I never had before. Now my kids are grown and I am experiencing Halloween through a new set of eyes because I am blessed to be included in the Halloween traditions a new generation is carrying on and making their own. 

I tried to find a photo of Rob (Bobby back then) in the pumpkin costume that I made for him but I will admit I wasn't the best at keeping photos organized. I had every good intention but life happened. So, I'll share this photo of my nephew Ryan and great-nephew Connor wearing the amped-up quilted version of the original pumpkin costume that my son wore so many years ago. 




Maybe my sister Sandi can find a photo of Rob in the original costume. She's the best photo organizer on the planet, with all of her photos in albums and duplicates filed away.


No comments:

Post a Comment